Essential oils are the subtle, volatile liquids distilled from plants, shrubs, flowers, trees, roots, bushes and seeds.
Science is just now rediscovering the healing substances that were used in ancient times and is beginning to acknowledge their value. Safety Note: Essential oils should never be taken internally, and should always be well diluted in a massage oil or lotion,before using on the skin. If you are pregnant, or breast-feeding, please be sure to consult a qualified Aromatherapist, before using essential oils in any way, as some essential oils can be harmful to your baby's health. Essential oils should always be kept in a safe place, away from children.
What is Aroma Therapy?
Aroma-therapy is the use of essential oils extracted from plants and herbs to treat conditions ranging from infections and skin disorders to immune deficiencies and stress.
Aroma-therapy works two fold. These essences have a smell that, when inhaled, is processed in an area of the brain that controls emotions. They penetrate the skin to get into the bloodstream and the immune system to work in a physiological method.
How do the essential oils work?
1. The aromas are perceived by the nerve endings at the back of the nose, and signals are passed to the limbic system in the brain. An important part of the limbic system, the hypothalamus, governs the pituitary gland, which controls hormone release throughout the body. Additionally, production of different neuro-chemicals can be triggered by smells. These neuro-chemicals can change your moods - like serotonin, which calmes, or endorphin, which gives a natural "high".
2. During the massage, the very small molecules of essential oils are absorbed through the skin. They then dissolve in the natural body fats and fluids. This allows them to flow around the body in the lymphatic and blood systems, to relax or stimulate, detoxify and regenerate.
3. The phytochemical components of essential oils have been analyzed and tested, and many therapeutic effects have been shown to occur.
4. Smells and fragrances can affect mood and emotions, and trigger the production of hormones in the body. They can uplift the spirit, clear the mind and totally relax the body.
How can they help me? Holistic Aromatherapy massage can:
1. Disperse toxic build-up in muscles, reducing chronic tension.
2. Stimulate the lymphatic system and improve blood circulation, bringing oxygen and nutrients to skin, muscles and essential organs.
3. Stimulate or sedate (as required) the central nervous system, to improve the performance of body systems and enhance wellness.
4. Act on the endocrine system, through the pituitary gland, stimulating hormone production, and re-establishing balance.
5. Promote a sense of physical and mental well-being, reducing stress and strengthening the body's defenses.